Genia Women’s Health Physiotherapist at GLOW Clinic, Berwick graduated as a Physiotherapist from Latrobe University in 2000. Her passion for Women’s health started shortly after whilst working at Royal Women’s Hospital.
Since then she has completed Postgraduate studies in Women’s Health at Melbourne University and has had over 15 years experience working in the areas of continence, pelvic floor dysfunction and perinatal musculoskeletal conditions.
Genia is a keen advocate of exercise – particularly to optimise health through the perinatal period and has many years of experience in teaching Clinical Pilates as well as general exercise classes. Genia developed and leads GLOW Fit GLOW’s physiotherapist designed and facilitated clinical exercise class.
Recently she has completed Masters in Applied Science at RMIT majoring in Traditional Chinese Medicine Acupuncture. The extra knowledge she has gained complement well her clinical skills as a well-rounded health professional. “I am passionate about providing holistic, readily accessible and individualised care, helping to improve and optimise client’s health and well-being throughout the perinatal period.”
Genia has worked in both private and public sectors in Australia as well as in Europe (The Netherlands), working as a Physiotherapist, a Clinical Pilates Instructor as well as an Acupuncturist.
She is a member of Australian Physiotherapy Association (APA) and Women’s Health Special Group, a member of Continence Foundation Australia as well a member of Australian Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Association (AACMA). She is also very active in ongoing education as she believes it enhances the practice, providing best care according to the up-to-date evidence-based medicine.
My special interests and areas of expertise include:
- Musculoskeletal conditions common in perinatal period such as Pelvic Girdle pain, back pain, carpal tunnel etc.
- Abdominal separation/diastasis
- Bladder and bowel dysfunction
- Pelvic pain and sexual dysfunction
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Chronic pain
- Education and training on TENS for labour
- Exercise in pregnancy and postnatal period
- Breastfeeding issues – blocked ducts, mastitis, poor supply
- Teaching use of TENS for labour
- Acupuncture for fertility, during pregnancy and postnatal recovery as well as for general musculoskeletal issues and general wellbeing
When not working, I love spending time with my husband, my teenage son and two very active dogs. To maintain my own well-being and life-balance I enjoy my regular Yoga and Pilates exercise, I love cooking and discovering the world through travelling.